Blog — "Dullog"
I was watching CBS's "Sunday Morning" yesterday. There was an amazing story about a traffic copy in LA — Elton Simmons — who has an amazing record of complaints from drivers he's issued tickets to.
Zero complaints. That's for 25,000 arrests over a 20-year period.
Simmons was not even aware of his record. "It's just how I do it every day," he said.
How does he do it?
• His attitude is different than most traffic cops. He not the typical hard-nosed traffic cops.
• He has a pitch-perfect mix of authority and diplomacy.
• He does not lecture. Instead he gives the drivers the benefit of the bout. They still get the ticket. But they don't get the guilt trip.
• "You know what it is, it's his smile" said a driver who got a ticket from Simmons. "He's got a great smile. He's a nice guy. How could you be mad at that guy?"
• "Some are downright smitten," a CBS reporter writes.
To see more about this on CBS, click here.
I wish we had traffic cops like this where I live.
© 1996-2013 International Council of Dull Men, London and Washington DC